Your Institution Reports
These reports provide the data and calculated metrics for your institution only. These reports can be used to save a copy of your annual submission and for comparison with the many benchmark reports available.
- Institution Report: The institution report displays the calculated metrics for your institution’s data, formatted into the same data tables used throughout the study, and is available as soon as your data is approved by The Cost Study team (prior to data approval, you can view calculated metrics program-by-program on Page 2 of the data entry forms). The Institution Report is the best place to view the calculated metrics for all of your institution’s programs. The report defaults to display disaggregated into individual programs, but you can use the drop-down menu at the top of the form to aggregate metrics at the 4-digit and 2-digit CIP level. You can copy the data to the clipboard one table at a time, or there are links to download the data as a .pdf or an Excel file.
- Direct Instructional Expense per Student Credit Hour Report: This report allows you to see a bar-chart of your institution’s data for the Direct Instructional Expense per SCH metric, along with a table showing the calculated value for each CIP. If your institution has participated in The Cost Study since 2015, you can view these years of data side-by-side on the same chart and table. This chart provides a quick visual overview of longitudinal fluctuations in this cost metric at your institution, and can be helpful during the data validation process.
- Page 2 (from the Data Entry Form): After entering a single program’s data, view the Page 2 form, which displays calculated metrics for this single program for all of the study tables. Dropdown menus are available where you can select a norm group (Carnegie, Highest Degree, or Percent Undergrad), and control (All, Public, Private) to obtain 3-year-average benchmarks for Table 3 and Table 4 metrics. Three-year-average results will be displayed side-by-side with the data from your institution’s program. Additional information about which metrics have associated 3-year-average benchmarks and how these benchmarks are calculated can be found in the explanation of the Three-Year-Average Report.
- All data as spreadsheet: Downloading your data as a spreadsheet provides an Excel file that looks just like the data upload file. This step is helpful for keeping a copy of your final data, especially if you made changes directly in the portal during data validation.
- All data forms as PDF: Another way to download a final copy of the final data is in this .pdf format, similar to the old data submission forms prior to 2017. Raw data is presented in tables similar to the look of the data entry forms on the web portal.
- Institution Notes: The program notes feature was added to the web portal during the 2020 study year, allowing notes to be stored on each program’s data entry page. Notes are helpful for explaining anomalies in the data, explaining why a red flag is present, or for leaving a message regarding data entry for reference in future years, etc. This report is a downloaded excel file of all the program notes for the study year.
- Warnings and Flags: This report provides a list of all the programs that have a warning/red flag associated with them. Use this report to correct some of the errors and speed up the data validation and approval process.